[OFB Cafe] Monarch Butterflys

Donald R Spoon drspoon at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 15 00:01:02 CDT 2008

Timothy Butler wrote:

> On Oct 14, 2008, at 9:45 PM, Donald R Spoon wrote:
>
>> We were treated to an unusual surprise today here in San Antonio.
>> The Monarch Butterflys came through on their annual migration south
>> to Mexico.  They usually pass a bit to the west of us, so we normally
>> don't get to witness the migration.  I recall seeing them during the
>> summer in Missouri as a kid, but never knew they migrated south like
>> birds.
>
>     Wow, how neat, Don. Did you get any pictures?
No pics... perhaps there will be some opportunities tomorrow.  These
migrations usually last a few days.   Actually you don't see huge
"flocks" of them heading south.  Mostly all you notice is a much higher
number flitting around your yard.  The "experts" say we will see them
again next spring as they retrace their southern migration routes when
they head back north.

I spent most of today laying around the house recovering from a
round-trip drive to southern Georgia.  My nephew died unexpectedly, and
we went back to attend his funeral.  After about 2000 miles of driving
on Interstate 10, I feel a bit weary!  Baton Rouge is always a thrill
driving through...

-Don Spoon-