[OFB Cafe] OK, let's have it

Chris Olson chris.olson at live.com
Tue Oct 14 23:24:15 CDT 2008

I got a private email from a friend who's on Tim Butler's Café mailing telling me Tim is broadcasting to the world that I told him he's associated with the Klan.  So I went and read this bullshit on the Café web archives for myself.

Tim Butler is a lying sack of shit (and THAT you can rest assured that I actually said) and he's upset over me presenting undeniable facts that backed him into a political corner with his cheerleading hoo-rah-rah support of this year's Republican presidential bid, when his candidates do and say things that go against everything the Christian church teaches is right (He also cites Christian values and beliefs as part of the reason he supports the Republican ticket and ideals).

Tim and I were having a PRIVATE email exchange about Sarah Palin, how the Palin bubble has burst, how her approval rating even among Republican voters has dropped thru the floor, and how her being picked as John McCain's VP running mate has hurt his campaign.

Tim disagrees on all points, of course.  This past week when McCain/Palin rallies started getting nasty with supporters yelling out to kill Obama and Sarah Palin has become the Republican party's new hate-monger, using underhanded racial bigotry to whip supporters into a hateful frenzy, I sent a newsletter on my own personal mailing list about his topic.  It was entitled "2008 Presidential Election gone too far" - I'm sure most of you got it.  It made a casual reference to Sarah Palin being like the new leader of the Klan.

So, Tim says he's done discussing this several times - but he keeps asking me about some questions that he wanted me to answer about things that were totally unrelated to the Sarah Palin thing.  The questions did not interest me so I answered them in Sarah Palin fashion - which means you just change the topic back to what you really want to talk about (watch the 2008 VP debate if you don't know what I'm referring to).

That's the basic background information.  The following email ensued:

  Timothy Butler wrote:
    You tried that once before. This means either (a) you answered them directly and helpfully, in which case you are wrong about Palin's qualifications or (b) you didn't answer them at all, which means I should have no more respect for you than you do for Palin. Which shall it be?

  Take your pick.  You're the one that supports the new Klan leader.  The original topic of my email was Sarah Palin and how you could continue to support her.  Read this - you're fast becoming a minority, Tim:
  http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/10/11/palin-booed-at-nhl-game-in-philadelphia/

  And yet you will not admit that you were wrong about her even when 90% of the American people now see her for the corrupt farce that she is.  That's what this entire email exchange is about - a test to see if you can admit when you're dead wrong about something.  As I said, you failed the test.  Miserably.
Tim is using this as a basis that I accused him of being involved with the Klan.

It's said there's no quicker way to make enemies than drawing political lines.  One of Tim's passions is politics.  Religion is another one (which is nothing but another version of politics, but that's another story).  Tim doesn't like to be backed into a corner on a discussion of either one because he considers himself an expert.  Tim is reacting with the same frustration, anger and finger pointing that is now typical of McCain/Palin supporters because they all know they're backed into a corner and they're going to likely lose this election.

Tim and I have had many private email exchanges on this year's election, clear back to when he was rooting for Hillary Clinton to beat Obama in the Democratic Primary.  Now that's it's down to the wire, and he's picked the losing candidates thru the whole thing, he's grasping at straws.

Since Tim decided to make a private dispute public, obviously because of some sort of problem I could care less about, I decided to post a public response to Just One More Republican Lie because there are some people simultaneously on my mailing list and Tim's.  I don't belong to Tim's Café mailing list and I could care less about that list - I got more interesting things to discuss than poetry or whatever shit they going there.  The only reason one of my posts ended up on that goddam list was because I mistakenly Reply-All'd one of Rick's emails.  I haven't been on that list for weeks - but evidently I can still post to it somehow.  Next time I'll check the email headers a little closer before I light the afterburner and send my email into the wild blue yonder at mach 6

In conclusion, I did NOT accuse Tim Butler of associating with the Klan.  But since he's being so sensitive about the situation I figure I must've touched a soft spot there - maybe we should look into this shit, huh?  I mean, after all, that's how the Republicans do it with Obama!  What's good for the goose is good for the gander.  And if anybody expects me to apologize - forget it.  I'm an outspoken, opinionated asshole - always have been, always will be.

EOT
--
Chris