[OFB Cafe] To Build a RISC or Atom PC

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Tue Nov 18 21:33:34 CST 2008

> We got our son a mini-ITX for Christmas about 3-4 years ago.  It is
> fanless, and uses a Via CPU (C7???).  He intended to use it as the
> core of a game machine / media center.  I don't think he ever got
> around to doing all he wanted, but has used it as a router and
> secondary storage site for his home lan.  I believe he had it doing
> other "experimental" media things such as a Myth TV server,
> streaming audio, etc.  As such, it has been in almost continuous use
> since he got it, and the only failure was a HD wipe-out.  He says it
> can boot off a memory stick just fine.  I can personally vouch for
> the small size of these.  His looked like an external CDROM / DVD
> enclosure with powersupply!  It ran Linux from the get-go just
> fine.  In fact, I don't believe he has had anything else on it!
> There are probably better / faster fanless machines around now...

Thanks, Don! Do you remember what brand you bought?

> He mentions that if you REALLY want to scratch an experimenter's
> itch, look at the Arduino stuff!  http://www.arduino.cc/

	Will check it out, thanks!

	-Tim
.

---
Timothy R. Butler | "The theologian who labors without joy is not a
Editor, OfB.biz   | theologian at all. Sulky faces, morose thoughts
tbutler at ofb.biz   | and boring ways of  speaking are intolerable in
timothybutler.us  | this field."
                                                       -- Karl Barth