[OFB Cafe] To Build a RISC or Atom PC

Donald R Spoon drspoon at sbcglobal.net
Sat Nov 15 21:31:26 CST 2008

Timothy Butler wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>     I have an itch that I probably won't scratch anytime soon, but I'd
> like to build an appliance like computer. Probably with an ARM
> processor or something similar. Why? Well, I'd like something simple,
> fan-less, low power consumption, but able to run a copy of Linux. I'd
> like to use it to build a custom NAS raid array.
>
>     At that point, all I'd need to do is find a DLNA and iTunes Media
> server for the Linux OS I put in it... perhaps boot Linux off a
> compact flash?
>
>     Thoughts? It's probably not practical, but it just sounds... well,
> fun.
>
>     -Tim

We got our son a mini-ITX for Christmas about 3-4 years ago.  It is
fanless, and uses a Via CPU (C7???).  He intended to use it as the core
of a game machine / media center.  I don't think he ever got around to
doing all he wanted, but has used it as a router and secondary storage
site for his home lan.  I believe he had it doing other "experimental"
media things such as a Myth TV server, streaming audio, etc.  As such,
it has been in almost continuous use since he got it, and the only
failure was a HD wipe-out.  He says it can boot off a memory stick just
fine.  I can personally vouch for the small size of these.  His looked
like an external CDROM / DVD enclosure with powersupply!  It ran Linux
from the get-go just fine.  In fact, I don't believe he has had anything
else on it!  There are probably better / faster fanless machines around
now...

He mentions that if you REALLY want to scratch an experimenter's itch,
look at the Arduino stuff!  http://www.arduino.cc/

It is about 1 step up from embedded computing in a handy DIY /
prototypingy format.  It now works with Linux, I believe.

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-