[OFB Cafe] Who's Still on Here?

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Thu Jun 26 00:20:01 CDT 2008

> An interesting question! My inclination is Christ or the Holy Spirit,
> but as you point out it may be a little out of time. I must check on
> Eliot's progress towards his eventual "Anglo-Catholic" beliefs, but
> this
> would fit (but so would other interpretations- one of "The Kindly
> Ones"
> perhaps!).

	I've been thinking about it, and I think Eliot is referring to Christ
(or the Holy Spirit). It makes sense. It also makes sense that his
conversion would start to appear in his poetry before anything public
-- especially in a poem written as he regrouped his frayed psyche and
sought for a new center of reality.

	Surely not the Kindly Ones!

	"I've never seen
       a tribe which could produce this company,
       a country which would admit with pride
       that it had raised them without paying a price,
       without regretting all the pain they cost."

> "The endless cycle of ideas and action,
> Endless invention, endless experiment,
> Brings knowledge of motion, but not of stillness;
> Knowledge of speech, but not of silence;
> Knowledge of words, and ignorance of the Word"

	Indeed. "The world turns and the world changes/But one thing does not
change."

	On another point, somewhat relatedly, Terence, is your nickname on
here by any chance related to a certain man who liked to talk to his
wine cups?

	"And fear not lest Existence closing your
	Account, and mine, should know the like no more;
	The Eternal Saki from that Bowl has pour'd
	Millions of Bubbles like us, and will pour."

Timothy R. Butler | "The yellow fog that rubs its back upon the window-
panes,
Editor, OfB.biz   | The yellow smoke that rubs its muzzle on the
window-panes
tbutler at ofb.biz   | Licked  its  tongue  into the  corners  of  the
evening,
timothybutler.us  | Lingered upon the pools that stand in drains."
                                                                 --
T.S. Eliot