[OFB Cafe] Who's Still on Here?

saki tjmc at torhouse.eclipse.co.uk
Wed Jun 18 04:06:47 CDT 2008

Timothy Butler wrote:
>> Terence
>>
>> PS "Who is the third who walks always beside you?
>> When I count, there are only you and I together"
>
> 	Well, the "Gliding wrapt in a brown mantle, hooded," of course. ;-)
>
> 	If that were in "the Four Quartets" I'd speculate Christ, but I
> wonder if it is too anachronistic to speculate such in "the Waste
> Land"? I've heard people do so. What do you think?

An interesting question! My inclination is Christ or the Holy Spirit,
but as you point out it may be a little out of time. I must check on
Eliot's progress towards his eventual "Anglo-Catholic" beliefs, but this
would fit (but so would other interpretations- one of "The Kindly Ones"
perhaps!).

"The endless cycle of ideas and action,
Endless invention, endless experiment,
Brings knowledge of motion, but not of stillness;
Knowledge of speech, but not of silence;
Knowledge of words, and ignorance of the Word"

Fascinating.

Terence