[OFB Cafe] Who's Still on Here?

Tink tink at svn.net
Mon Jun 2 14:34:00 CDT 2008

On Jun 2, 2008, at 10:51 AM, saki wrote:

> Tink wrote:
>>

>> I'm just wondering what exactly 'Occupational Psychology' is?
>>

> Really it's about applying psychological theories and ideas to the
> workplace.
>
> Sorry for a quick (and probably not too clear) answer, but I'm just in
> from work, and am shortly out for the evening!

Terence,

First of all apologies for misspelling your name! Brain fog on my side
I suppose.

You answer is pretty clear and I understand whet it is, must be
interesting.
As you can read in my intro Waldo and I are expats and when you're
live and work as global nomads you have to deal with a lot of
different cultures. Not just social but also workplace related.

The biggest surprise to us was the fact that US workplace dynamic is
so much different than the European one, or the Dutch one to be more
precise because within Europe there are lots of differences in work
culture. The Dutch always think they're very much US oriented but the
differences where large. Now Intel is a large company with lots of
people with different ethnic backgrounds it's interesting to see how
they all come together and create a very much homogenous workforce. In
The Netherlands the differences in background would have been much
more obvious and people would actually talk about it and make sure
that your background would be taken into account.

 From all countries we lived and worked in the US work culture was the
most difficult to get used to, it takes at least 2 - 3 years before
you actually start to feel at home and integrated.

Interesting subject!

--
Tink