[OFB Cafe] Climatology vs. Climatism

saki tjmc at torhouse.eclipse.co.uk
Fri Jul 25 04:49:58 CDT 2008

Donald R Spoon wrote:

> I also like <snip> the general class of brews called
> "bitters" that are served in the pubs in England.

Excellent! The bitter taste of some of these, (as you probably know) is
given by the choice of hops. Sometimes hops are added to the cask at the
end of brewing (dry hopping) and can be very pleasantly bitter indeed.

Some "bitters" though are anything but, rather being "not sweet".

Field Marshall the Earl Wavell (in "Other Men's Flowers" attributes the
decline of Britain's Empire and fortune from "the time Englishmen
stopped drinking beer for breakfast and started drinking tea".

Terence