[OFB Cafe] Climatology vs. Climatism

Donald R Spoon drspoon at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 24 21:45:18 CDT 2008

Derek Broughton wrote:

> It's funny how any time somebody disagrees with anybody else's science, they
> say their opinions are scientific, and the opponent's are just dogmatism.
>
> The quote from Gregory is of course completely unrelated to either climatology
> or climatism, as he - like many Christians before and since - believed the
> end of the world was nigh for completely different reasons...

Probably true about Gregory, and countless others throughout history
that have predicted "the end it near".  One day one of them will be
right.  The bigger point here, I think, is that we will seize upon
biggest, most un-controllable scary "thing" we can think of, and use it
to predict the end... usually in some horrible way.  In the end some
"hero" rides up to save the day.  The tale of Beowulf is a good example.

I keep flashing back to a Gary Hart "Far Out" cartoon I saw when I was
younger.  It showed two Cavemen whispering to each other with another
one in the background obviously working on something.  One of the
whispering Cavemen said to the other "Have you noticed how strange the
weather has been since Ogg started experimenting with the bow and arrow?"

Some of the arguments I hear today have about as much causal relationship.

-Don Spoon-