[OFB Cafe] Bio Fuels

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Tue Jul 22 22:30:36 CDT 2008

> Of course it's a moot point.  This is why I have little sympathy for
> Americans
> when they start complaining about paying $10 a gallon for gasoline,
> which will
> eventually come.

	Says the guy driving the Dodge/Cummins pickup, paired with his wife
who drives the same.

> How high does the price of convenience have to get before switching
> from
> personal transportation to mass transit starts to look more
> attractive?

	A long time when you live either (a) in suburbia like I do or (b) the
wilderness like you do. How do you propose making mass transit make
sense when you live out in the hills? It seems to me mass transit only
makes sense if you stick to urban living, e.g. much of Europe.

> well, then worry about it.  Ethanol is a joke.  Biodiesel isn't a
> good solution.

	I'm all for those things. But, don't tinker with the price. Don't
create false demand. According to a friend of mine, who is one of the
foremost experts on this subject (he has debated your friend, Al
Gore), dropping all the government subsidies could push E85 to over $5/
gallon -- and that was several years ago when gas was well below $3.
And before you say he's crazy, don't. He's not. Maybe the government
is against your bio-fuel, but by and large, they subsidize it like
there's no tomorrow. But, stick your neck out saying things like this,
and you get death threats from farmers who think they have a right to
the subsidies (my friend has received those after having quotes
published in a major paper).

> Just kill a bunch of sand pounders, steal their oil and everything
> will be
> great.  Elect McCain - He'll Git 'er Done.  Right?

	Of course not.

Timothy R. Butler | "Aim at heaven and you will get earth thrown in.
Editor, OfB.biz   |  Aim at earth and you get neither."
tbutler at ofb.biz   |                                   -- C.S. Lewis
timothybutler.us  |