[OFB Cafe] Bio Fuels

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Tue Jul 22 11:47:35 CDT 2008

>> Yes, interfering with the market in another way -- always a good
>> option.
>
> Who's interfering with the market?  I'm just advocating that US oil
> companies should be taxed identical to any other multinational.
> Currently they're not.

	When you adjust Big Oil's taxes to be "fair" and then offer tax
incentives for "alternative energy," what do you think you are doing?

>> More jolly good choices -- let's just let the government figure out
>> the reasonable price and dictate it, shall we?
>
> You seem to have gone off the deep end and lost all sense of
> reason.  Please re-read what I wrote and show me exactly where I
> said anything about the government figuring out the price and
> dictating it.

	Nah. But when people start talking about oil companies making
"reasonable" profits (and I'm sure you're getting that from Obama's
stump speeches), they don't mean, "let the market determine the fair
price." If you aren't going to fix the price, how are you going to
insure that the oil companies only make "reasonable profits." And how
in the world are you going to figure out those profits?

	Here's my proposal: drop everyones' taxes, cut back on government
services and let the free market duke it out.

	I like McCain's proposal on alternative energy. Rather than offer tax
deductions to companies that don't actually help us, offer a $300
million dollar "X-Prize"-like thing that is awarded to the company
that actually succeeds in making something useful.

>> Yes, that's why there are E85 signs all over the place around here,
>> right?
>
> Actually that's due to the efforts of a bunch of farmers like me who
> have invested in ethanol and biodiesel plants.  Unfortunately for
> you, Big Oil is pushing legislation at this very moment to make
> those E85 signs disappear.

	Well, right now, I think it is a fine thing, but I really don't care.
The price for E85, after the subsidies that help drive the price down,
is not low enough to make up for the fact that it does not provide as
good of fuel economy. It is low enough to increase demand, which is
helping to raise corn prices.

	What I really dislike is that I *must* buy gas with 10% ethanol. I
don't want any ethanol, thank you very much.

	Admittedly, you are right that there are powerful lobbies involved.
What about the lobby that prevents sugarcane ethanol?

Timothy R. Butler | "Philosophy  always  requires  something  more,
Editor, OfB.biz   | requires the eternal,  the true, in contrast to
tbutler at ofb.biz   | which even the fullest existence as such is but
timothybutler.us  | a happy moment."
                                                -- Søren Kierkegaard