[OFB Cafe] Bio Fuels

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Tue Jul 22 00:15:13 CDT 2008

Caution! You're entering the Sarcasm Zone.

> I would hope it would make sense to you, otherwise you don't
> understand much about business economics.  If the oil companies were
> taxed on par with other multinational industries, and with the
> biofuels industry, they'd have to pay more taxes.  This gives the
> company incentive to do one of two things
>  a.. either invest the profits in tax-deductible investments so as
> to not pay tax on them (alternative energy sources)

	Yes, interfering with the market in another way -- always a good
option.

>  b.. lower the inflated price of their product to more reasonable
> levels to get into a lower tax bracket

	More jolly good choices -- let's just let the government figure out
the reasonable price and dictate it, shall we?

> Either method will allow the alternative fuels industry to compete
> with Big Oil, which it can't do now because if you're a biofuels
> producer in the US all you have to do is wake up in the morning and
> you'll get slapped with another new tax law.  Competition is what
> it's all about and Big Oil has none.  They have a monopoly and they
> own the political system to keep it that way.

	Yes, that's why there are E85 signs all over the place around here,
right?

Timothy R. Butler | "The theologian who labors without joy is not a
Editor, OfB.biz   | theologian at all. Sulky faces, morose thoughts
tbutler at ofb.biz   | and boring ways of  speaking are intolerable in
timothybutler.us  | this field."
                                                       -- Karl Barth