[OFB Cafe] Bio Fuels

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Mon Jul 21 22:57:00 CDT 2008

> Pick an oil company - or a contractor like Haliburton.  In February
> of 2002,
> Haliburton stock was worth $6.  Now it's worth almost $50.
>
> Exxon Mobil has gone from $32 to $90 in the same period.

	The problem is this is a post hoc argument. Exxon Mobil's stock price
is not likely to have jumped by that much because of Iraq. Actually, I
doubt it would have moved much at all because of Iraq.

	Haliburton makes more sense, but given that the U.S. military was
paying for their services, that shouldn't be surprising. Jokes of $700
toilet seats come from somewhere...

> What construction?  Iraq used to be one of the world's largest oil
> producers,
> and the wells are still there, undamaged, since the invasion.
> Unlike the
> wells in Kuwait, the Iraqis either never considered blowing their
> own wells,
> or they didn't have a chance.

	I can't really say much, I've not done a serious study of this. But,
everything I've read in recent times seems to be talking about the oil
companies being contracted for things other than selling oil...

Timothy R. Butler | "Bad is so bad, that we cannot but think good
Editor, OfB.biz   | an accident;  good is so  good, that  we feel
tbutler at ofb.biz   | certain that evil could be explained."
timothybutler.us  |                           -- G. K. Chesterton