[OFB Cafe] Old Computers for Old Guys

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Fri Jul 18 20:00:40 CDT 2008

dep wrote:
> said Fred A. Miller:
>
> | Rick, Minolta years ago made an 85mm lens that was THE BEST, period, THE
> | BEST portrait ever produced for 135mm!! Those were the days when Minolta
> | was "Minolta" and made it's own glass, including the crucibles. They
> | were as good or better in some lenses than Nikon and Canon. But, that
> | was then and this is now. ;)
>
> you do realize, right, that minolta entered into partnership with leitz and
> produced, among other things, the so-so leica cl and the superb
> leitz/milolta cle, and during that time, they were making lenses for each
> other. when i was doing radio for wor in noo yawk, i carried a cle with
> the 28mm minolta lens. was way cool. also could use the incomparable 21mm
> super angulon -- which the abysmal leica m-6, with that stupid flapping
> meter thing (shared by the cl) could not.

Of course I know it.......Minolta WAS making some off the glass for
Leitz lenses. I had a LOT of Minolta equip. at the time. They had the
best most accurate titanium curtain type shutter at the time. Oh
well......those were the days. ;)

> (though truth be known, though i shot leicas for wideangle work for years
> and years, my favorite rangefinder was the canon p with the 50mm 1.2 canon
> lens. what a delight that camera was!)

'Had a friend who shot nothing but Leica rangefinders.

> this thread actually caused me to go to ebay last night and almost buy a
> rollei 35. i used one of those, black, 3.5, singapore, as my lone camera
> for almost two years as a knight ridder reporter/photographer in flirida
> in the mid-70s. utterly manual. utterly wonderful. really makes me long to
> shoot film again. dammit.

Well, the only thing about "film" that I miss is the OLD
Kodachrome...ASA 25. There NEVER has been as good a film and of course,
there never will be.

Oh well.......the stuff fond memories are made of.............

Fred

--
This message originated from a Linux computer using Open Source software:
openSuSE Linux 11.0 No Gates, no Windows....just Linux - STABLE & SECURE!