[OFB Cafe] Potential Spyware Site

Donald R Spoon drspoon at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 17 12:14:01 CDT 2008

> Don,
>
> I had similar problems with "pop-ups" recently (running Ice Weasel in
> Debian Etch).
>
> I resolved mine by opening "top" and killing Java.
>
> I'm not aware of anything else that would run as you describe.
>
> Anyone else?
>

> Terence

Sounds about right...  Java sure fits the bill.  Shutting it off for her
is problematic, though...

I am thinking of moving to Iceweasel for her anyway.  There are more
"extensions" for it.  I heard that Iceape has stopped any work on new
versions, and getting extensions for it is getting more problematic.
She likes it because of the integrated browser-email-calendar programs.

I was looking around for a method to block that site mentioned.  I use a
firewall called "Firestarter" here, and I seem to recall a way to block
specific IPs, but I can't find it.  I guess I could use an adblocker,
but Tim would get mad at me...  ;-)

-Don Spoon-