[OFB Cafe] Engine overheating

Rick Bowers rwbowers at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 14:29:36 CDT 2008

At Wednesday 7/16/2008 12:29, you wrote:

> [...]

Yes, I tend to agree. I was wondering if the electric fans had any
specific advantages. Obviously, not.

>You can replace the clutch yourself too.  I don't remember if the Mopar 360
>has a bolted hub or threaded, but I think its threaded.  Leave the belt on
>the pulley, and with an air chisel, bite into the front side of the big nut
>on the clutch hub (the hub is LH thread so you have to turn it the opposite
>direction - clockwise - to screw it off the water pump shaft), and squeeze
>the trigger on the air chisel to break it loose.  The 360 in a Durango is a
>tight fit so you have to take the bolts out of the fan shroud and move the
>shroud to get the fan and clutch assy out.  And be careful that you don't
>nip any radiator cores with the fan blade when pulling it out.  Those
>radiator cores are fragile and its pretty easy to put a hole in one if you
>don't watch what you're doing.

Yes, it's my Durango/360 and, yes I've replaced these before. The
fan/clutch in my '74 'Cuda mounted to the water pump with 4 bolts.
The 360 in my Durango uses a single, threaded nut. A poor design, if
you ask me. But I'm sure it's cheaper for Chrysler to build.

The whole problem started about two years ago. My water pump went
out, so I went out and bought a new one. I couldn't get the fan
assembly off (don't have an air chisel) so I thought I could remove
the water pump/fan assembly as a unit and deal with it out of the
car. It turned out there wasn't enough space, with the fan shroud
loosened, to pull the assembly out.

It was winter, and I don't have a garage, and I was under some time
constraints, so I brought the Durango to a mechanic. It turns out he
was a dishonest mechanic. I told him I couldn't get the fan off and
needed the water pump replaced. I already had the new water pump.

When I picked up the Durango, the invoice was about $380! He CUT the
fan off (doh! *I* could have done that if I'd wanted to) and charged
me for a new one. The price was way too high, but I paid it and vowed
not to go back to him again.

Two days later, the water pump was spraying fluid everywhere so I
took it back to have it fixed. That night, when I picked it up I got
another invoice for over $300! He told me all the hoses had to be
replaced. Ummm, if they were that bad, why weren't they replaced the
first time? Anyway, I told him where he could stick that invoice.

The second time I took it to him, I was waiting for my ride and he
mentioned he couldn't make a living off just repairing cars so he
sold parts, too. I'm guessing rather POOR parts -- so now I need to
replace his crappy clutch!

>After you get it out, unbolt the fan from the old clutch and inspect the
>fan.  If it has any cracked blades, replace it (a busted fan blade @ 5,000
>rpm will blow the shroud right off the radiator and come thru the hood).  To
>tighten the fan hub, assuming you don't have a fan hub wrench, you can grab

I'm not clear on this part. Do you mean tighten the fan/clutch
assembly to the water pump?