[OFB Cafe] Old Computers for Old Guys

dep dep at drippingwithirony.com
Tue Jul 15 21:01:21 CDT 2008

said Rick Bowers:

| Interesting idea. I've probably got a version or two of OS/2 around
| here somewhere. Probably v3.0 or 3.1??

could well be -- i've got every version from 2.0 onward, including one
version of the ecomstation thing, which in my estimation was awful though
maybe they've fixed it. i even have it bootable here on a thinkpad.

| I got rid of my concurrent UNIX and (original) SCO UNIX when a moved
| a while back. I've still got lots of antique software around if
| anyone misses things from their past too much.

i have everything also, including aforementioned microsoft bob in original
box (5.25" floppy, though). a friend who refused to listen to instructions
and who therefore really screwed up his machine had me come to town to fix
it a few years ago, when he was still on 3.1; so after i got the machine
working i installed bob on it. about a week later he bought a mac.

i have corel draw for OS/2, and word/dos 3.0 onward. procomm 2.42 and 2.43,
the shareware, and procomm plus, of course. what a great app that was.
back when going online was special. oh, and prodigy 1.0, along with the
set of utilities that made its cartoonish interface almost useful.

all that stuff, which i haul from place to place -- along with my darkroom
equipment. when i moved here three years ago i brought teo omega and one
big durst enlargers, and trays and tanks and dryers and everything,
leaving valuable stuff behind to make room. i had been here for a week
when i eastman kodak announced it was no longer making black-and-white
chemistry. alas.

--
dep

Get "Right By Me," the exciting new album from Marjorie Thompson
available now at http://www.marjoriethompson.com