[OFB Cafe] Old Computers for Old Guys

dep dep at drippingwithirony.com
Mon Jul 14 22:20:21 CDT 2008

said Timothy Butler:

| 	Hmm... you can still get it here:
| http://www.breadbox.com/ensemble/geosdetails.asp?id=45&category=Purchase
|%20Ensemble
|
| 	Rather expensive, though.

not for what you get, given that it's commercial software. though it does
require at least a 386 and at least 640k of memory. whole thing installs
in 15 megs of hd space. but you have to have at least EGA graphics.

just think of all the devices you have that meet or exceed those
requirements.

they've added a tcp/ip stack and some internet apps. that was always the
problem with geoworks -- the sdk got shipped either never or too late to
be of any use. so there are not a lot of third-party apps. and while it
didn't want to run dosapps in little windows or anything, it did task
switching really well. which unless you were in the middle of a download
was okay.

i remember once when michael denigris and i started geoworks from windows,
then started windows from geoworks, then started geoworks from windows.
got to four or five iterations before it all blew up.

| 	I'm not sure about on Linux, but I'm fairly certain on Intel Macs,
| Parallels will boot existing partitions. Might want to see if that is
| true in the Linux version as well. Or what about Virtual Box? Qemu?

i do not know these things. i shall endeavor to learn more.

| 	Ah, yes. Practical KDE sits perched on one of my bookshelves, looking
| down over my computer setup for testing things. I suppose it is an
| icon of sorts.

yes, it was iconic. save it. it will be valuable someday, if rarity is any
measure.
--
dep

Get "Right By Me," the exciting new album from Marjorie Thompson
available now at http://www.marjoriethompson.com