[OFB Cafe] Old Computers for Old Guys

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Mon Jul 14 21:34:42 CDT 2008

Hi dep!

> though the best of the dos-based guis was geoworks. tiny and
> incredibly
> fast -- written in assembler -- and even the first gui for aol, on
> those
> floppies. i really would like to get it from the archives and see if
> it
> can be made to run in dosemu.

	Hmm... you can still get it here: http://www.breadbox.com/ensemble/geosdetails.asp?id=45&category=Purchase%20Ensemble

	Rather expensive, though.

> related, kinda: i have two machines here that have xp installs on
> seldom-booted partitions. seems to me there ought to be a way to point
> wine to them and run apps using the genuine windows code, or at
> least some
> of it. has anybody done this? apparently there is no way to get
> vmware to
> boot an existing partition, which is maybe the stupidest thing in the

	I'm not sure about on Linux, but I'm fairly certain on Intel Macs,
Parallels will boot existing partitions. Might want to see if that is
true in the Linux version as well. Or what about Virtual Box? Qemu?

> world. (there is a screenshot around here someplace -- it was
> in "practical kde" -- of i think a win-95 app, a dos word processor,
> and
> win-3.1 with the legendary microsoft bob, all running in a vmware
> virtual
> machine. useless computer stunts can be fun.

	Ah, yes. Practical KDE sits perched on one of my bookshelves, looking
down over my computer setup for testing things. I suppose it is an
icon of sorts.

Timothy R. Butler | "Into this Universe, and why not knowing,
Editor, OFB.biz   | Nor whence, like Water willy-nilly flowing:
tbutler at ofb.biz   | And out of it, as Wind along the Waste,
timothybutler.us  | I know not whither, willy-nilly blowing."
                                            -- Edward FitzGerald