[OFB Cafe] keyboard remapping, etc.

dep dep at drippingwithirony.com
Mon Jul 14 20:38:07 CDT 2008

said Kris Deugau:

| Heh.  Along that line, the Windows key in particular is one I'd like to
| map to the KDE version of the Windows Start menu.  (I flip back and
| forth between Linux and Windows;  Linux on the desk at work;  Windows at
| home because the "get it working" curve is somewhat lower with Windows
| and very little generally available software - games in particular -
| works anywhere other than Windows (and possibly OSX).)
|
| KDE's "Control Center" doesn't seem to want to let me do that, though;
| it seems to think it's a modifier key.  :/

yup. tried to do the same thing. i've been thinking that in the guts of the
keyboard mapping there is a way around this, though.

| (Fractionally more annoying is the behaviour of the keypad.  By
| definition, Numlock is *off* on boot on all my systems, and the keypad
| acts like arrow keys.  If I really *want* a numeric keypad, I hit
| Numlock.  Windows handles this quite well;  Linux does not seem to be
| able to cope with the concept of "Numlock off, keypad == arrow keys".)

in kubuntu (and therefore i kind of imagine standalone kde, though i cannot
say), kmenu ->system settings->keyboard and mouse, which offers:

"NumLock on KDE Startup
"( ) Turn on
"( ) Turm off
"( ) Leave unchanged"

which, even if it isn't in kcontrol, has to be hidden in a config file
somewhere in ~/.kde.
--
dep

Get "Right By Me," the exciting new album from Marjorie Thompson
available now at http://www.marjoriethompson.com