[OFB Cafe] keyboard remapping, etc.

Kris Deugau kdeugau at deepnet.cx
Mon Jul 14 20:19:06 CDT 2008

dep wrote:
> it would be fun to do something with all these extra keys. in kde, it's a
> simple enough thing to go to the keyboard shortcuts setup and give the f
> keys functions. but i'd also like to make use of some of the others. for
> instance, the cents sign would come in handy from time to time, and
> assigning the copyright symbol to a key might be good (i was thinking the
> windows key -- that would be appropriate).

Heh.  Along that line, the Windows key in particular is one I'd like to
map to the KDE version of the Windows Start menu.  (I flip back and
forth between Linux and Windows;  Linux on the desk at work;  Windows at
home because the "get it working" curve is somewhat lower with Windows
and very little generally available software - games in particular -
works anywhere other than Windows (and possibly OSX).)

KDE's "Control Center" doesn't seem to want to let me do that, though;
it seems to think it's a modifier key.  :/

(Fractionally more annoying is the behaviour of the keypad.  By
definition, Numlock is *off* on boot on all my systems, and the keypad
acts like arrow keys.  If I really *want* a numeric keypad, I hit
Numlock.  Windows handles this quite well;  Linux does not seem to be
able to cope with the concept of "Numlock off, keypad == arrow keys".)

-kgd