[OFB Cafe] Introductions?

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Sat Jul 12 16:57:47 CDT 2008

> Hands up both of you who _didn't_ have a ZX81 (it doesn't count if you
> actually had something even more primitive and skipped that step).

	I actually was computer-less for a long time, although I encountered
an Apple II a tiny bit and received a TI 99/4A as a gift (a while
after they were discontinued). That was a good system -- I was still
able to buy stuff for the TI, as I recall, until '95.

>> The break through: a Western Digital "Hard Card" drive of 20 mb. This
>> had to be formatted as two partitions as M$-DOS wouldn't read over
>> 10 mb...
>
> I remember that step.  I had an original IBM PC-XT - for which I
> remember
> spending $2300 _used_!  I've never paid so much for a computer (even
> laptops)
> since.  When the harddrive eventuall failed, it was replaced with a
> 20MB
> monster, and I remember having to use it as two logical disks, but I
> had a
> program called something like BigDrive which remapped it as a single
> C:
> drive.

	Aww, shucks. You guys are a bunch of geezers. I didn't mess with IBM
compatibles until they has 120 MB disks (1993). That was such a nice
luxury after fooling with cassette based storage...

Timothy R. Butler | "Now  that  I am a  Christian  I  do have moods
Editor, OfB.biz   | in which the whole thing looks very improbable:
tbutler at ofb.biz   | but when I was an  atheist I had moods in which
timothybutler.us  | Christianity looked terribly probable."
                                                       -- C.S. Lewis