[OFB Cafe] Introductions?

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Sat Jul 12 15:51:56 CDT 2008

On July 12, 2008 05:03:08 saki wrote:

> I started (as many of us, no doubt) with an 8 bit ZX81 "home" computer,

Hands up both of you who _didn't_ have a ZX81 (it doesn't count if you
actually had something even more primitive and skipped that step).

> The break through: a Western Digital "Hard Card" drive of 20 mb. This
> had to be formatted as two partitions as M$-DOS wouldn't read over 10 mb...

I remember that step.  I had an original IBM PC-XT - for which I remember
spending $2300 _used_!  I've never paid so much for a computer (even laptops)
since.  When the harddrive eventuall failed, it was replaced with a 20MB
monster, and I remember having to use it as two logical disks, but I had a
program called something like BigDrive which remapped it as a single C:
drive.

> I'm just sorry my children will not experience the same excitement that
> I've enjoyed. They will have their own, though, that's certain.

They do things with phones that just leave me scratching my head and feeling
like that "old geezer" Don thinks I am...
--
derek