[OFB Cafe] Cafe List

Patrick Shanahan patrick.shanahan at gmail.com
Sat Jul 12 15:43:28 CDT 2008

* Chris Olson <chris.olson at live.com> [01-01-70 11:34]:

First I want to apologize, my first response was inaccurate and
inappropriate!

> I suspected it was because I use HTML email only and included a .gif
> image smilee emoticon in the one that didn't post.  My email program
> (Windows Live Mail, which is the replacement for Windows Mail in
> Vista, which is the replacement for the old Outlook Express in Windows
> XP and prior), formats replies by changing the quoted text to italic
> and coloring the quoted text light blue - I notice Mailman seems to
> remove all that formatting as well.  It's been quite awhile since I
> ran Mailman, but IIRC there's a setting in the admin panel that
> doesn't allow HTML posting at all, and it reformats any HTML to plain
> text.

A good thing (tm)!  But I'm rather old  :^)

> I won't go back to plain text email because not all email clients
> handle format=flowed text properly, I hate reading 80 character wide
> messages that keep getting increasingly mangled by plain text email
> clients when people post and don't edit out unneeded quoted text on
> messages that have been replied to several times, and virtually every
> word processor I've ever used allows the use of bold, italic or
> underlined text, and changing font size or color, as well as inserting
> images inline and many other things that are very handy if composing
> an informational document.

So you would rather contribute to the *mess* rather than do your part
to discourage it.  A prevalent attitude in these United States for the
last 30 or 40 years, perhaps longer.  Just because the uneducated (in
the internet atmosphere) ascribe to a mannerism does not make it prim
and proper.  Look at all the rfcs that LookOut violates and all the
ww3 definitions of html that explorer and web publishing clients from
mickey$loft massacre.

A civil society is based on an agreement of principles and rules that
promote an agreeable harmonious existance between individuals.  M$
deliberatly goes "It's Own Way" to promote its monopoly powers in
direct violation of the law and appears to be able to bribe the right
portion of the populace to not be held accountable.  At least maybe
the EC will hold them in sway.

> An modern email client is nothing but a word processor that interfaces
> with an SMTP server.

A false statement, one that would be expected from an aoler.  Your age
should explain that statement.  But I agree that email clients that
have become popular with the m$ users seem to lean that way.

> While plain text email may be good enough for some, it's not for me.

I have ex-friends that believe the same thing about smoking cigarettes
in my presence.  And I must say that I was as intolerable myself when
I had the habit.  And I cried when I had to pay $0.35 in the machines
when I ran short.

> I've ranted on this before, this is just my latest rant on the topic.

It's ok, it was received in that light, as was the response.  I do not
belay you your opinion or the right to express it, but I do not agree
and hope that I have not made a enemy, as that was definitely not my
intention.

cards are on the table  :^)