[OFB Cafe] Cafe List

Chris Olson chris.olson at live.com
Sat Jul 12 14:00:12 CDT 2008

From: Timothy Butler
Sent: Saturday, July 12, 2008 9:28 AM
To: An Open Discussion Forum on Just About Everything,Especially for Techies.
Subject: Re: [OFB Cafe] Cafe List

  Hi Chris,
  I'm not sure why your most recent post wouldn't show up. Did you
  change anything in the way you sent it from previous e-mails?

I suspected it was because I use HTML email only and included a .gif image smilee emoticon in the one that didn't post.  My email program (Windows Live Mail, which is the replacement for Windows Mail in Vista, which is the replacement for the old Outlook Express in Windows XP and prior), formats replies by changing the quoted text to italic and coloring the quoted text light blue - I notice Mailman seems to remove all that formatting as well.  It's been quite awhile since I ran Mailman, but IIRC there's a setting in the admin panel that doesn't allow HTML posting at all, and it reformats any HTML to plain text.

I won't go back to plain text email because not all email clients handle format=flowed text properly, I hate reading 80 character wide messages that keep getting increasingly mangled by plain text email clients when people post and don't edit out unneeded quoted text on messages that have been replied to several times, and virtually every word processor I've ever used allows the use of bold, italic or underlined text, and changing font size or color, as well as inserting images inline and many other things that are very handy if composing an informational document.  An modern email client is nothing but a word processor that interfaces with an SMTP server.  While plain text email may be good enough for some, it's not for me.

I've ranted on this before, this is just my latest rant on the topic.

BTW - I tried to repost the message I sent in reply to Don's post, and it still got rejected by Mailman - it doesn't bounce, the BCC I sent to my personal archive came thru OK, Mailman evidently just dumps it because it has HTML content, with a .gif image inserted inline, that it can't convert to plain text.

But like I said before, I'm a computing moron - I know nothing........
--
Chris