[OFB Cafe] My first post (here)

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Wed Jul 9 18:08:07 CDT 2008

On July 9, 2008 18:41:31 Timothy Butler wrote:
> >> 	They need your SSN because AT&T requires an SSN for new service
> >> activation (for a credit check, I'm fairly certain).
> >
> > Of course, that doesn't really answer why they _need_ it.  It's
> > illegal to ask
> > for the equivalent here in Canada, but then we can't get an iPhone
> > either...
>
> 	You're hard pressed to get phone service in the U.S. from a major
> provider without giving out your SSN. Just calling AT&T for a wired
> phone service quote leads to a "can we have your social, please?"
> request so that they can do a credit check.
>
> 	Hey, you can get the iPhone in two days through Rogers. Doesn't sound
> like the greatest plan in the world, though...

It's actually sounding better than _my_ Rogers plan.  Being off-grid also
means I'm tied to cell phones, and minimal cell usage is still costing me a
minimum of $80/month.

I got the "can we have your social" runaround with a leasing company a few
years ago.

Rep: "You didn't fill in your SIN on the application."
Me: "You do realize it's _illegal_ for you to ask me for it, unless you're
submitting taxes on my behalf, don't you?"
Rep: "But it's easier if you give us your SIN".
Me: "You don't understand.  It's ILLEGAL for you to ask for it."
Rep: "Well, it's just much easier if we have it."

I really didn't want to go through with this, but my wife - the financial
wizard - insisted we were leasing...  They never did get my SIN, though.
--
derek