[OFB Cafe] PD: Something to Fan the Flames... OFB Endorses Candidates

Fred Smith fps at xicada.com
Tue Jan 29 13:42:34 CST 2008

On Jan 29, 2008, at 1:15 AM, Timothy Butler wrote:

> Well, perhaps it's time for a good old fashioned friendly flame fest.
> Here's OFB's take on the upcoming election... what's yours?
>
> http://www.ofb.biz/safari/article/449.html

Your stance on nearly every issue is unsurprisingly horrible.  Here's
the breakdown:

"Both Huckabee and McCain have pro-life records that are relatively
consistent and do not appear to have been conjured up by dreams of the
presidency, contra Gov. Mitt Romney (R-MA), nor missing entirely, as
with Rudy Giuliani (R-NY)."

the term "Pro life" was created by the anti-choice movement to make it
appear like they weren't trying to force their religious views into
the lives of people who don't share them.  Huckabee believes "life
begins at conception", which is such a ridiculous statement I can't
even begin to rebut it. Not even the catholic cult shares that
backward view. Huckabee's ilk are the ones responsible for dozens of
abortion clinic bombings and attacks every year.   With Huckabee as
president and people's reproductive rights firmly within the control
of the federal government, we'll start to see these nutballs move onto
their next goal; mandatory daily baptist church attendance and the
forced conversion of all non-members.

your follow-up of "Nevertheless, McCain’s endorsement of embryonic
stem cell research, which involves the destruction of embryos and the
use of therapeutic cloning, is a cause for concern that tarnishes his
otherwise strong, consistent record." just shows how blinded you are
by your cult. You value potential life over the possibility of saving
millions of actual lives each year. So much so that you'd rather see
that potential life in the garbage than put to good use.

"Both candidates support continued military action in Iraq, which we
feel is justified by the so-called “Pottery Barn rule” that holds the
United States responsible for “breaking” Iraq and therefore required
to do what it can to repair the Middle Eastern state."

To continue the analogy, the US has broken half the items in the
store, and you'd suggest we continue to walk around blindfolded wildly
swinging a baseball bat instead of just walking out the door.  In
addition to the store being destroyed, we decided to walk in barefoot
and now we're stepping on hundreds of shattered glasses.

We need to leave Iraq today.  We should have left Iraq 5 years ago. We
should have never been there in the first place.  5 years ago, anyone
with even an ounce of common sense saw that all the evidence that bush
presented was fabricated.  McCain would keep us there for another 100
years, and Huckabee is so batshit crazy, he'd simply nuke the place
his first day in office.  Paul and Kucinich are the only two
candidates with a reasonable plan for Iraq.

"Of concern with regards to both candidates is their support of
various “national security” policies, such as the USA PATRIOT Act,
that continue to threaten the liberty of these United States. However,
amongst major party candidates, only Rep. Ron Paul (R-TX) opposes the
act."

The patriot act is only the tip of the iceberg here, and both
candidates you support have no problem with illegal wiretapping,
domestic spying, torture of American citizens or foreign nationals,
concentration camps like Guantanamo Bay, and any of the other
practices of the current administration.