[OFB Cafe] Old video cards

Kris Deugau kdeugau at deepnet.cx
Mon Feb 4 13:41:54 CST 2008

Timothy Butler wrote:
> 	Of course, perhaps the best solution is to use something like
> VMware? Can it emulate the right set of video cards, etc.? Maybe Bochs?

Well, yeah;  for *really* old games (DOS-based, or Windows-based with
minimal real graphics/sound hardware requirements) VMware or someone
else's equivalent is probably about right.  I'm actually planning on
setting this up at some point for a couple of games I've given up on
with "new" hardware because they're unplayably fast.  <g>

But it doesn't really provide for slightly newer hardware with
capabilities that have been dropped as superfluous in current
generations.  :/  A video chipset from...  mid-1998 or so, say, would
pretty much have to be emulated entirely in software - unless you could
find such a card, and convince VMware to treat that physical device as
the "real" console.

-kgd
--
Get your mouse off of there!  You don't know where that email has been!