[OFB Cafe] linux mail server recommendations wanted

Rick rwbowers at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 17:09:44 CST 2008

Hi all,

I have an old mail/web/ftp server based on SME Server and I want to build a
new server.

My current setup uses, I think, qmail. The directory structure looks like
this:
drwx------    5 rwb      rwb          4096 Dec 21 04:24 .
drwxr-xr-x   38 root     root         4096 Oct  9 16:15 ..
drwxr-x---    2 rwb      rwb          4096 Aug  9  2005 home
drwx------    2 rwb      rwb          4096 Jun  5  2008 Mail
drwxr-x---    6 rwb      rwb          4096 Aug  9  2005 Maildir
-rw-------    1 rwb      rwb           415 Dec 20 10:42 procmail.log.1
-rw-------    1 rwb      rwb           374 Dec 12 16:11 procmail.log.2
-rw-r--r--    1 rwb      rwb          1220 Oct  1 21:09 .procmailrc
-rw-r-----    1 rwb      rwb           474 Oct 14  2005 .qmail
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     admin           6 Aug  9  2005 .qmail-default ->
.qmail

I am thinking about using postfix, and setting things up as decribed here:
http://flurdy.com/docs/postfix/#software

(except, maybe, not using Ubuntu) I will want something compatible with my
current mail setup so I can copy all my old messages.

Comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

~Rick