[OFB Cafe] New Laptop... A Report

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Wed Dec 10 00:24:31 CST 2008

Donald Spoon wrote:
> saki wrote:
>>
>> Hi, Don,
>>
>> Yes, Kubuntu and Ubuntu 8 are good- I use the latter on my oldish
>> laptop, and, as you say, "It just works". I'm using it now for
>> distribution to anyone I can persuade to try it.
>>
>> BTW I have tried the latest Open SuSE 11 which did not give the same
>> easy and comprehensive install, particularly on the wireless side.
>> This also goes for Mandriva 2009 and Fedora 10, but YMMV
>>
>> On my main box I have Debian Lennny and I have no problems with that
>> either (same with my lap-top).
>>
>> Terence
> My experiences are the same here.  See my note to Fred.
>
> I have one problem with Lenny, which I run on a couple of boxes here.  I
> have an network HD storage device which has a SMB server on it.  I can
> "see" it and connect with all my Etch machines, but the Lenny machines
> won't connect although they "see"  it.  The device also has a FTP server
> and that works fine all all the machines.  I can't figure out if the
> problem is with SAMBA client or with the new version of KDE in Lenny.

One thing we ALL need to remember. You CAN'T judge a distro. after
installing it and running it a short time. You MUST learn it.....period!
OpenSUSE probably exemplifies this more than the others because it's a
MUCH MORE complete distro. than the others.

Fred

--
"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties
than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to