[OFB Cafe] New Laptop... A Report

Donald Spoon drspoon at sbcglobal.net
Tue Dec 9 23:48:25 CST 2008

saki wrote:

> Hi, Don,
>
> Yes, Kubuntu and Ubuntu 8 are good- I use the latter on my oldish
> laptop, and, as you say, "It just works". I'm using it now for
> distribution to anyone I can persuade to try it.
>
> BTW I have tried the latest Open SuSE 11 which did not give the same
> easy and comprehensive install, particularly on the wireless side.
> This also goes for Mandriva 2009 and Fedora 10, but YMMV
>
> On my main box I have Debian Lennny and I have no problems with that
> either (same with my lap-top).
>
> Terence
My experiences are the same here.  See my note to Fred.

I have one problem with Lenny, which I run on a couple of boxes here.  I
have an network HD storage device which has a SMB server on it.  I can
"see" it and connect with all my Etch machines, but the Lenny machines
won't connect although they "see"  it.  The device also has a FTP server
and that works fine all all the machines.  I can't figure out if the
problem is with SAMBA client or with the new version of KDE in Lenny.

-Don Spoon-