[OFB Cafe] New Laptop... A Report

Donald Spoon drspoon at sbcglobal.net
Tue Dec 9 23:17:10 CST 2008

Fred A. Miller wrote:
> Donald Spoon wrote:
>
> >SNIP,
>
> You'd be fine with openSUSE as well.....11.1 releases in 11 days. You
> can install it with KDE 4.1.* or under "option" install KDE 3.5.10 if
> you install from a DVD image.....32 and 64-bit versions will be available.

I just d/l and run the SUSE 11 "Live Disc", 64-bit version on my new
laptop.

It is not as good as the Kubuntu Live Disc, IMHO.  The desktop looked
"flat", i.e. no 3-D effects although I chose the KDE version and it had
about the same layout as Kubuntu's.  I think it was using the same
version of KDE.  It didn't recognize my wireless chipset nor my built-in
ethernet so I don't have an internet connection.  The respective modules
refused to load with a "unrecognized symbol" error.  It runs about the
same speed as Vista 32-bit here.  I have tried various 64-bit versions
of Linux and Winders and have never seen the speedup noted by others.
It is probably because my uses are NOT very computationally-intensive.

Overall it was a disappointment... I expected my first exposure to SUSE
to be better!  I had tried Mandrake, TurboLinux, and Red Hat several
years ago (many years ago???).  I got to see TurboLinux because my son
worked as one of their developers for a while.  They all were OK, and I
especially liked Mandrake, but it was RPM based, which I never could get
used to...  I seemed to be in "dependency hell" everytime I tried to
install an app that wasn't included in the original disc!  That is what
sent me back to Debian.

-Don Spoon-