[OFB Cafe] New Laptop... A Report

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Sun Dec 7 13:21:25 CST 2008

Donald Spoon wrote:
> My wife decided to present me with a new laptop for Christmas, but
> allowed me to select it.  I was watching the sales and special deals
> from Best Buy, etc looking for a decent Dell or Toshiba machine.  Dell
> had a sale on their model 1525 Inspirons last week end, and I almost got
> one.  I was doing the on-line "Configuration", when I ran up against the
> option for "Wild Tanget Games", which was a "try before buying" deal
> that I definatetly didn't want.  When I tried to remove the option, it
> protested implying it was needed for the overall system, and wouldn't
> let me uncheck it!  I did the on-line "Chat" thing to Dell Sales and
> explained the problem to "Dave" who assured me he could remove it by
> entering the order on his end.  Since I had made several minor changes
> like the color, no dial-up ISP, etc, which didn't change the base sale
> price, I wasn't inclined to repeat it all again over the "Chat" so I
> asked for a call-back to complete my order.  Dave took my information
> and assured me that his assistant would be calling me in 2-3 minutes.
> I waited, and waited, and waited...  I got bored and went to the Best
> Buy site and started looking there.  I ran across an Acer Aspire model
> 6930 that had identical hardware, except it had a larger screen (16")
> and a larger Hard Drive for about $40 less!  I also found that the local
> stores had them in stock and I wouldn't have to wait 7-10 days for one
> to be "built"!  I ran down and took a look at the display model, liked
> what I saw, and bought one.  Dell hasn't called me back yet...

Too bad.....I have had that model for roughly 7 months, and am typing
this on it. The ONLY thing I don't like about it, is that there's no
hardware "switch" to turn off the touchpad. I HATE touchpads with a
passion and use a wireless Logitech mouse. The Dell likes Linux a LOT. ;)

> My old laptop was an Acer Aspire 1522, which has served me well over the
> years, so I didn't have any heartburn about the brand.  I decided to
> accept the default Winders Vista, since there didn't seem to be many
> other options.  On my old Acer they and divided the HD into two main
> partitions and installed XP on one and used the other for "Backup".
> This computer had the same thing, which makes it nice if you want to
> install Linux!!  You just delete the backup partion (NOT the hidden
> recovery partitions that contain the Vista self-install) and put the
> Linux Dist of your choice there.  On my new computer, I have about 140
> Gigs of space to install Linux.  The only problem is that Acer had used
> all 4 of the "Primary" partions in the original partition schema, so you
> have to make the old Backup partition into an Extended partition in
> order to have a place to put the Swap partition and the EXT3 primary
> Linux partions.  I dunno if Acer does this for all their computers, but
> it has happened to me twice now, so I though I would pass it on.
> course you CAN delete all and use the entire HD for Linux if you want.
> This is just a suggestion on how to do minimal damage...

I've replaced Vista on a number of them, after all I get paid to do it
:), and make it clear to the owner that there WON'T be any remnant of
'Bloze anywhere on the hard drive. I'm not sure why Acer uses this config.

> BTW,. a good set of System Rescue Tools that has GParted on it comes in
> handy.  I used this one:  http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page
>
> I also grabbed the latest KUBUNTU iso image and burned a CD.  This iso
> has KDE 4 on it.  Once I re-rigged my BIOS to boot from the CD, I put in
> the KUBUNTU CD and tried the live disc option. which was the first one
> on the list.  Amazingly, it booted the first try and even discovered the
> wireless WIFI chipset, wireless mouse, audio, and proper Xorg screen
> driver!  In short, KUBUNTU "just worked" on this new machine!  I was
> especially amazed at it discovered the wireless WIFI chipset (which
> supports the draft N spec too).  All I had to do was supply a few config
> items, like which AP I wanted to connect to and the WEP key in order to
> connect to my home Lan!  I did a little digging and found out the
> included chipset was an Intel Wireless Link 5100, and Intel has
> published drivers for it.  In fact Intel these drivers are now
> incorporated in the new Linux Kernels!  (2.6.25 and higher I think)!
> Intel seems to be aggressively supporting Linux.   The live disc feature
> is really neat, in that it let me see if I was going to have any
> hardware problems before I actually changed anything up.  It now seems
> that I can safely put Ubuntu or Kubuntu or probably Debian Lenny on this
> computer without having any major hassles!  Dunno how this all
> translates into the other Dists.

You'd be fine with openSUSE as well.....11.1 releases in 11 days. You
can install it with KDE 4.1.* or under "option" install KDE 3.5.10 if
you install from a DVD image.....32 and 64-bit versions will be available.

> My,  how far we have come....

Oh yes.

> Well, that is my report for now.  I am having fun down here in Geezerland!

GOOD deal! By the way, openSUSE runs a lot faster than Vista did on this
box. I just can't see why anyone would want that junk.

Fred

--
"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties
than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to