[OFB Cafe] JOE BIDEN: RIAA STOOGE

Fred Smith fps at xicada.com
Sun Aug 31 23:08:10 CDT 2008

On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 2:48 PM, Timothy Butler <tbutler at ofb.biz> wrote:
>        Uh, how in the world would you come to that conclusion? McCain wants
> to keep and extend tax cuts.  McCain wants to avoid a huge government
> healthcare program. Obama wants to rescind tax cuts and introduce the
> largest expansion of the government since the New Deal.

Find yourself on this chart:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/story/2008/06/09/ST2008060900950.html

Chances are your taxes will be lower under Obama than they will under
McCain. Effectively, McCain will raise your taxes.

Also, health care is the distractionary issue. Guess how many
investment banks the Fed now has a controlling interest in after
bailouts by "small government" republicans like McCain.

> The way you
> make it sound, Obama should be running for the LP nomination, but even
> pro-Obama CNN suggested Obama's programs would cost billions of
> dollars beyond the current budget.

Obama's programs are small potatoes compared to the unnecessary cost
of the Iraq war, which McCain intends to continue for at least 100
years.

> Some think wealth
> redistribution is laudable, and while I'd be happy to debate it, first
> we need to admit which party advocates wealth redistribution and which
> one doesn't.

The republican party advocates distributing wealth from the poor to
the rich, by means of high taxes on the poor and corporate
bailouts/gifts to the rich. The democratic party advocates staying out
of wealth distribution by reducing taxes on the poor and allowing the
rich to pay for their own corporate bailouts.

Republican voters, especially those in flyover states in the midwest,
have this delusional idea of wealth distribution.  They think that the
poor people in the cities are stealing all their tax dollars. The
truth is that "red" states in the midwest receive the majority of
handouts.  For every tax dollar that comes out of "blue" states like
New York, Massachusetts, Connecticut, or New Jersey, about $.70 comes
back.  However, for every dollar in federal taxes that's paid in
Mississippi, New Mexico, Alaska, Louisiana, North Dakota or Montana,
about $2 comes back. Missouri gets $1.31 back for every dollar it
pays.

>        John McCain and Sarah Palin both have reputations, well earned, for
> being fiscal conservatives.

The same way that Bush was a fiscal conservative?