[OFB Cafe] Tech Buzz: Who Deserves the Tech Vote?

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Tue Aug 26 19:13:25 CDT 2008

Derek Broughton wrote:
> On August 26, 2008 17:50:53 Fred A. Miller wrote:
>> Fred Smith wrote:
>>> There's a reason that home prices and cost of living are so low, and
>>> yet relatively no one lives there.  It's not because people are just
>>> not aware of the wonderful culture of the midwest, or the great jobs
>>> or the wonderful things to do there, it's that none of those things
>>> exist.
>> That is not only wrong, it's ignorant.
>
> No, it's a normal reaction for a 'coaster.  I feel much the same way (even
> though I know they _do_ have culture, if not jobs - home of the St. Louis
> blues! [not the hockey team]).  My people are from the prairies, and I've had
> great times there, but I couldn't _live_ there.  When you've lived by the
> ocean, you can't be happy anywhere else.

That's not true either. I did live by the Pacific years ago, but don't
now. I'll
take my country with hardwood forests anytime.

> Tolkien wrote something in the /Lord of the Rings/ that I'm too lazy to look
> up, about Elves, having heard the cry of the gulls, being unable to rest
> again in their inland forests.  I've always thought he was tapping into
> something very primal.  Of course he did that before 100+ acre uncovered
> land-fills, that have brought gulls into every part of North America, and
> probably England.  In my English childhood, I don't ever remember gulls until
> I lived on the coast.

I do. Gulls don't have any natural predators except for the occasional
shark. With
plenty to eat, they simply have over populated.

Fred

--
Linux is an old Latin word meaning, "I don't have
to support your Windows anymore."