[OFB Cafe] Tech Buzz: Who Deserves the Tech Vote?

Derek Broughton auspex at pointerstop.ca
Tue Aug 26 18:33:41 CDT 2008

On August 26, 2008 17:50:53 Fred A. Miller wrote:
> Fred Smith wrote:
> >>
> >>        Do elaborate on that eloquent statement about my region, Fred.
> >
> > There's a reason that home prices and cost of living are so low, and
> > yet relatively no one lives there.  It's not because people are just
> > not aware of the wonderful culture of the midwest, or the great jobs
> > or the wonderful things to do there, it's that none of those things
> > exist.
>
> That is not only wrong, it's ignorant.

No, it's a normal reaction for a 'coaster.  I feel much the same way (even
though I know they _do_ have culture, if not jobs - home of the St. Louis
blues! [not the hockey team]).  My people are from the prairies, and I've had
great times there, but I couldn't _live_ there.  When you've lived by the
ocean, you can't be happy anywhere else.

Tolkien wrote something in the /Lord of the Rings/ that I'm too lazy to look
up, about Elves, having heard the cry of the gulls, being unable to rest
again in their inland forests.  I've always thought he was tapping into
something very primal.  Of course he did that before 100+ acre uncovered
land-fills, that have brought gulls into every part of North America, and
probably England.  In my English childhood, I don't ever remember gulls until
I lived on the coast.
--
derek