[OFB Cafe] Tech Buzz: Who Deserves the Tech Vote?

Derek Broughton auspex at pointerstop.ca
Mon Aug 25 12:06:43 CDT 2008

On August 22, 2008 23:26:15 Timothy Butler wrote:

> 	FEMA did not work well, but honestly, people should not need FEMA.
> Who in their right mind lives in a city below sea level anyway? But,
> that's neither here nor there I suppose.

Poor people without options.  People who once upon a time, _didn't_ live 14
feet below sea level, but whose homes have been steadily subsiding because
_rich_ people control policy.

People in their right minds don't _buy_ homes below sea level, on flood
plains, or anywhere in Florida; but people have to live somewhere.

> > whose policies have put America into war after war, caused
>
> 	Two, both of which Gore likely would have gone into as well, if he
> followed in the footsteps of his former boss.

I don't know that I agree completely, but I think it's a safe bet to say that
_nobody_ as president could have avoided going to war in Afghanistan.  Never
mind that history says that going to war in Afghanistan is always going to be
a losing proposition, no president that wanted to stay out of that war could
have kept the confidence of the people, and nobody who could have been
elected by the people would likely have wanted to stay out of it anyway.

> > put the economy in the crapper,
>
> 	You place far too much weight on the power of the government
> concerning the economy. Our trade deficit is far more damaging to the
> economy than anything the Bush administration (or the Clinton
> administration) has done.

Possibly true.  However, the economy is the cross a president has to bear.
Yes, there are things that a president can do that will change the economy (I
suspect Nixon's recognition of the People's Republic of China was initially
good for the economy), but for the most part a president just has to accept
that if the market's are good, people will look back on him fondly, and vice
versa.  otoh, trillions of dollars into a war in Iraq, are not good for the
economy, and while I'll agree that the trade deficit is probably worse in the
long run, _not_ having so many wars would have done wonders for Bush's image
with the economists.

> > made houses worth less than what is owed on them, and tanked our
> > global reputation as a "shining beacon of freedom"...
>
> 	At least in Europe, I don't think that was hard. Places like France
> didn't like the United States before.

THAT is American isolationism.  Places like France _loved_ the US.  Some
politicians didn't, but you don't realize just how much mileage you got (and
squandered) out of saving Europe from the Nazis.  They even forgave you for
being late (the British didn't, but then they weren't occupied).

> > The smart democrat went on to teach at Harvard, win an Oscar and later
> > accept a Nobel prize for his work in the Global Warming arena.
>
> 	Yes, for work that has been thoroughly brought to question by those
> actually in the fields Gore like to talk about.

Not really.  It's been thoroughly brought into question by people with vested
interests in denying global warming, who like to cite the odd question by
others who actually believe it.

> And, the alarmist
> propaganda so far has come without realistic solutions (that's perhaps
> the biggest problem of all).

LOL.  So unless there's a solution, let's not bother about it.  You _can't_
have a solution until you agree to work on one, and for the most part nobody
wants to even admit there's a problem, so they'll never have a solution.

> 	Confession helps restore one's reputation. It was also nearly 30
> years ago.

It's sure better than having to admit something during the campaign :-)

> > McCain has said that he would balance the budget in his first
> > term, the economist said that it is simply NOT POSSIBLE, given his
> > stances on lowering taxes and increased spending for even more wars.
>
> 	What "more wars" do you know about?

Well, "longer".

> 	Can we guarantee that Obama would
> not get it to a war? (I doubt -- it's now a prerequisite to becoming
> president to start at least one war, I believe).

I can certainly see the possibility of either candidate getting boxed into a
situation in either Iran or Georgia, and something else is sure to crop up.

> 	Do tell how Obama is going to pay for all of his government expansion
> projects, such as his enormous health plan that will surely run over
> budget...

Divert the Iraq war money...

--
derek