[OFB Cafe] Tuesday, Boris the Mayor, and Thomas the Rhymer

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Fri Aug 22 21:55:11 CDT 2008

On Aug 20, 2008, at 9:33 PM, Derek Broughton wrote:

> On August 20, 2008 22:31:32 Timothy Butler wrote:
>>
>> 	I do think Marlowe might have rivaled Shakespeare had he not faced
>> "a
>> great reckoning in a little room." But, alas...
>
> I thought he _was_ Shakespeare :-)

	Ah, yes, right. Never mind... ;-)

>> 	It's interesting that you mention that "nobody wants to mention
>> him."
>> I was thinking the same thing the other day. People do seem to have a
>> sense that there is something wrong with siding with Shakespeare,
>> don't they?
>
> His greatest hurdle is that pretty well anybody in a school in an
> English-speaking country has to be introduced to him by a system
> that seems
> to want to prevent anybody enjoying their education.

	Quite true. Alas, again.

Timothy R. Butler | "The theologian who labors without joy is not a
Editor, OfB.biz   | theologian at all. Sulky faces, morose thoughts
tbutler at ofb.biz   | and boring ways of  speaking are intolerable in
timothybutler.us  | this field."
                                                       -- Karl Barth