[OFB Cafe] Tuesday, Boris the Mayor, and Thomas the Rhymer

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Wed Aug 20 20:31:32 CDT 2008

> Frankly, though nobody wants to mention him, I _am_ partial to
> Shakespeare.
> OK, there are essentially only two plots - the tragedy or the comedy
> - and
> his knowledge of history and geography is laughable, but nothing in
> our
> language has stood the test of time better than Shakespeare and the
> King
> James Bible.

	Absolutely agreed. Shakespeare is untouchable. His characters have a
depth that no one else has rivaled. Who could ever hope to match
Hamlet or Falstaff? What ending is more cathartic than that of Lear?
When I've made attempts at writing drama, I always come back to
Shakespeare as a model. And then fail to capture even a smidgeon of
Shakespeare's power.

	I do think Marlowe might have rivaled Shakespeare had he not faced "a
great reckoning in a little room." But, alas...

	It's interesting that you mention that "nobody wants to mention him."
I was thinking the same thing the other day. People do seem to have a
sense that there is something wrong with siding with Shakespeare,
don't they?

Timothy R. Butler | "Into this Universe, and why not knowing,
Editor, OFB.biz   | Nor whence, like Water willy-nilly flowing:
tbutler at ofb.biz   | And out of it, as Wind along the Waste,
timothybutler.us  | I know not whither, willy-nilly blowing."
                                            -- Edward FitzGerald