[OFB Cafe] Tuesday, Boris the Mayor, and Thomas the Rhymer

Derek Broughton auspex at pointerstop.ca
Wed Aug 20 08:43:01 CDT 2008

On August 19, 2008 22:23:26 Timothy Butler wrote:
> On Aug 17, 2008, at 10:58 PM, Derek Broughton wrote:
> > On August 18, 2008 00:22:08 Timothy Butler wrote:
> >> 	Notice I don't mention that other playwright, however, from whom I
> >> continue to be waiting for a plot. Aristotle rolls over in his grave
> >> in hopes of an endgame.
> >
> > Beckett?  No, Mamet...
>
> 	Well, as I've said, I'm dubious on much of the enterprise of "modern
> literature and drama." But, I'm afraid Beckett is not a favorite of
> mine. Admittedly, one could easily do worse! Of course, it probably
> doesn't help that the performance I saw of Godot was truly bad. But
> that only accounts for a partial rationale for my lack of enthusiasm
> for him.
>
> 	I'd say Stoppard and Miller were the two that ruled the 20th century
> in English, however. Pirandello,  of course, deserves a repeated
> mention if we include foreign language works -- I'm partial to him. :-)
>
> 	I really like one of Stoppard's more recent works, "Arcadia." Very
> fascinating plot layout.

I caught a little bit of that on radio.  I'd like to see it.  "Rosencranz &
Guildenstern" may have been the first play I actually read outside of high
school.  Loved it, loved the movie, have never had a chance to see it on
stage.

Frankly, though nobody wants to mention him, I _am_ partial to Shakespeare.
OK, there are essentially only two plots - the tragedy or the comedy - and
his knowledge of history and geography is laughable, but nothing in our
language has stood the test of time better than Shakespeare and the King
James Bible.

I spent a week on Broadway, too long ago now, and the most memorable play I
saw was McNally's "Master Class" (plus Timon of Athens at Shakespeare in the
Park).  That's when I discovered how bad Mamet was...
--
derek