[OFB Cafe] Homeland Security: We can seize laptops for an indefinite period

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Thu Aug 7 20:35:30 CDT 2008

On Aug 7, 2008, at 7:57 PM, Peter Hollings wrote:

> My understanding is that the Constitution makes searches and seizures
> dependent on a warrant based on probable cause.  What I think is going
> on is a hyped up program to grant the government powers that would
> ordinarily require Constitutional amendment, but are accepted
> because of
> public fear. We have color coded alerts and Anthrax attacks that have
> now been traced back to government labs, including allegations that
> the

	I think tracing Anthrax to government labs is different than tracing
it to the government. I somehow doubt the government would be making a
big deal seven years later of the alleged perpetrator (now dead and
unable to defend himself) if it were the government that actually did
the attack. Why bring attention to something the public has long
forgotten about?

Timothy R. Butler | "The yellow fog that rubs its back upon the window-
panes,
Editor, OfB.biz   | The yellow smoke that rubs its muzzle on the
window-panes
tbutler at ofb.biz   | Licked  its  tongue  into the  corners  of  the
evening,
timothybutler.us  | Lingered upon the pools that stand in drains."
                                                                 --
T.S. Eliot