[OFB Cafe] lightening

Derek Broughton auspex at pointerstop.ca
Wed Aug 6 10:32:05 CDT 2008

On August 5, 2008 19:08:37 Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> A loud clap of thunder this morning about 6:02.13 am -0400 and
> thereafter a repeating light beep about every 6 seconds from my
> computer.  No network connection, beep was announcing retries.
>
> Repowered modem and router three times w/o gaining net access before
> putting head into gear  :^(.  No route to router and no dhcp.
> Replaced router to no avail, exchanged cat5 cable also w/o gain.
> Rebooted from a "live-cd" of openSUSE 11.0 KDE4 and manually setup the
> nic.  Still no network.
>
> Powered down, replaced onboard nic with one from the junk box.
> Also lost a wii ...

Been there done that.  When I lived in S. Ontario we used to lose electrical
equipment regularly to lightning.  I think we went through a stereo receiver,
two VCRs, a CD player and a dish receiver over about 10 years.  I thought the
microwave tower across the road, would act as a big lightning rod, but it
seemed more to be a lightning attractor.  Now that I'm in Nova Scotia we
never see lightning like that.
--
derek