[OFB Cafe] SSL

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Fri Apr 25 11:06:46 CDT 2008

> Not really, no;  the nature of HTTPS makes it (almost) impossible to
> support multiple different specifically-named virtual hosts on a
> single
> IP without excessive hackery.

	Hmm... I guess the best solution may be just to standardize on the
machine's real hostname (e.g. cedar.serverforest.com) and forget the
two other names. The reason they are all on the same IP, of course,
is that they are all really just aliases for the exact same site.

> I did read something recently about being able to put multiple,
> specific, fully-qualified names into a certificate;  however there was
> also a note that some browsers don't like those certs.  :/  I'd
> just go
> with a wildcard cert.

	I'm tempted, although this is only for lightweight use (mostly to
avoid the errors that come out of my self-signed cert) so I'm not
sure the cost is worth it... unless you know of a good deal on one.

	Thanks!

Timothy R. Butler | "He that has and a little tiny wit—
Editor, OFB.biz   | With hey, ho, the wind and the rain,—
tbutler at ofb.biz   | Must make content with his fortunes fit,
timothybutler.us  | For the rain it raineth every day."
                                   -- Feste the Fool (Shakespeare)