[OFB Cafe] SSL

Kris Deugau kdeugau at deepnet.cx
Fri Apr 25 10:55:51 CDT 2008

Timothy Butler wrote:
> 	Also, is there any way, without buying a wildcard certificate to get
> it to validate against a domain and a subdomain that are tied to the
> same IP and show the same page? My server's proper address is
> cedar.serverforest.com, but it also answers to www.serverforest.com
> and mail.serverforest.com. All of those are identical in what they
> will do, so it is not a case of multiple different sites.

Not really, no;  the nature of HTTPS makes it (almost) impossible to
support multiple different specifically-named virtual hosts on a single
IP without excessive hackery.

I did read something recently about being able to put multiple,
specific, fully-qualified names into a certificate;  however there was
also a note that some browsers don't like those certs.  :/  I'd just go
with a wildcard cert.

-kgd
--
Get your mouse off of there!  You don't know where that email has been!