[CS-FSLUG] FastCGI

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Sun Apr 11 17:21:18 CDT 2021

Hey, everyone,
Does anyone on here have insight into using FastCGI to speed up Perl execution? I’ve been playing with it the last week and I am amazed at the results, but FastCGI seems to be mostly dormant. My CMS goes from taking around 600ms to fulfill a request to as low as 180ms (all but as fast as a static page). So far as I can tell, it has several advantages over mod_perl, most importantly that it works with Suexec to keep scripts from running with privileges beyond the current site’s own.

On the other hand, the FCGI module for Perl seems to have broken UTF-8 support, which is a pretty nasty thing in 2021.

Thoughts?

Tim

Timothy Butler
tbutler at ofb.biz

"The best theology would need no advocates: it would prove itself." —Karl Barth