[CS-FSLUG] Lightweight Linux in 2020

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Sat Mar 7 18:36:13 CST 2020

Friends,
If you were going to recommend a lightweight distro at present, what would it be? I have a little Asus x201e I ended up “inheriting” (organizationally speaking). It’s not speedy, but its dual core Celeron 1.1 GHz processors seem to handle Ubuntu 19.10 reasonably well. I just installed a cheap SSD to replace the hard disk.

I figure if it can handle Ubuntu ok, maybe something lighter weight would be even better? Something MATE based? LxQt based? Elementary OS looks interesting and different....

If the same thing ran well on a Raspberry Pi, that seems like a bonus to me.

If nothing we’ll run markedly better, I might just stick with Ubuntu, it’s familiar and compatible with anything I might want...

Thoughts?

Tim

Sent from my iPhone