[CS-FSLUG] Strange boot problem

Tim Young Tim.Young at LightSys.org
Mon Nov 17 10:59:20 CST 2014

Hi,
Ooohh Ahhh...  Exciting.  Boot problems are always a bit of a mess.

Briefly, there are two different partitioning schemes these days.
Because you mentioned you have a "boot drive", I will assume you are
using the "DOS partitioning."
The other partitioning scheme is the gpt partitioning system, which
was created to allow large hard drives.  If you are using gpt, then
life is a lot more exciting (and I have less experience with it.)

If you are using a "boot drive" (most likely a "boot partition") you
actually need to put grub on /dev/sda1 (or whatever partition is
labled with the boot flag).  In fdisk, I believe, the boot partition
has a * next to it.  It is usually the partition that holds your
/boot filesystem.

If you take the boot flag off the drive, it usually uses the grub
info from the actual drive you are booting from (/dev/sda), but when
you have the boot flag turned on, it uses the boot information from
that particular partition (/dev/sda1)

Does that make sense?

     - Tim Young