[CS-FSLUG] What if Verizon succeeds in killing the Internet?

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Mon Sep 23 20:19:10 CDT 2013

I've posted countless essays over the years on the importance of Net
neutrality
<http://www.infoworld.com/t/federal-regulations/fccs-open-internet-order-bodes-ill-net-neutrality-966>
and how big ISPs are trying to turn the Internet into a pay-per-view
system
<http://www.infoworld.com/d/data-center/how-internet-metering-changes-everything-197674>,
rather than the open-access system it was always intended to be. I've
written open letters to federal legislators
<http://www.infoworld.com/d/networking/open-letter-enemies-net-neutrality-764>;
remarked on the various games being played by AT&T, Verizon, Comcast,
and the like; and cheered Google Fiber
<http://www.infoworld.com/d/data-center/google-fiber-must-succeed-198733> for
demonstrating that the big ISPs are full of nonsense
<http://www.infoworld.com/d/data-center/challenged-google-fiber-isps-opt-hasten-their-downfall-216796>
when they claim their backs are against the wall in terms of broadband
speeds and reach.

And now, Verizon is claiming it has free speech rights to limit and
block content flowing from the Internet to its customers. That stance is
so ridiculous that the lawyers responsible for cooking up that one
should either be canonized or jettisoned into space. I'm not sure which.

http://www.infoworld.com/d/data-center/what-if-verizon-succeeds-in-killing-the-internet-227175?source=IFWNLE_nlt_daily_pm_2013-09-23

--
"To compel a man to furnish sums of money for the propagation of ideas
he disbelieves is sinful and tyrannical." - Thomas Jefferson