[CS-FSLUG] Do you know tesseract? or good docs?

davidm at hisfeet.net davidm at hisfeet.net
Thu Nov 14 21:02:36 CST 2013

I'm trying to go through some of my old letters, and writings, of which I
have only paper copies remaining. Discovered Tesseract, and started to use
it. Simple, and very accurate OCR. But:

suddenly it seems to have quit working. I use Gimp and xsane to prepare a
tif, or png file for it at 300dpi, and it was doing fine, until it decided
not to.
 here's the command I've been using: tesseract ltr-996h-p1.png ltr-996h-p1
(or the same with a tif file.)

And here is the result:
tesseract ltr-996h-p1.png ltr-996h-p1
Tesseract Open Source OCR Engine v3.02 with Leptonica
Cannot open input file: ltr-996h-p1.png

I've tried with several different files - same result.  No indication of
why it will not open the input file. And I find almost no documentation on
it.
Thanks,   Dave McM