[CS-FSLUG] Trying to get gps working on my laptop

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Fri Jan 4 14:43:16 CST 2013

On 01/04/2013 12:09 AM, davidm at hisfeet.net wrote:
> Below is the last part of dmesg tail
> Seems to me that it takes note of the existence of the gps that I plugged
> in, but doesnt know what it is. It seems to be identified as pl2303. When
> I unpluggedit (third line from the bottom) it registered as disconnecting
> from ttyUSB0.
>
> In Linux (mimt13) how do I get this to be recognised as a gps device? And
> then interact with gps clients?  This is a deluo gps device with  number
> on the bottom: 239B followed by 002087.

You nee:

gpsbabel - Converts GPS waypoint, route and track data from one format
type to another

GPSBabel converts waypoints, tracks, and routes from one format to
another, whether that format is a common mapping format like Delorme,
Streets and Trips, or even a serial upload or download to a GPS unit
such as those from Garmin and Magellan. By flattening the Tower of Babel
that the authors of various programs for manipulating GPS data have
imposed upon us, it returns to us the ability to freely move our own
waypoint data between the programs and hardware we choose to use. It
contains extensive data manipulation abilities making it a convenient
for server-side processing or as the backend for other tools. It does
not convert, transfer, send, or manipulate maps. We process data that
may (or may not be) placed on a map, such as waypoints, tracks, and routes.

You also need: gpsd - Service daemon for mediating access to a GPS

gpsd is a service daemon that mediates access to a GPS sensor connected
to the host computer by serial or USB interface, making its data on the
location/course/velocity of the sensor available to be queried on TCP
port 2947 of the host computer. With gpsd, multiple GPS client
applications (such as navigational and wardriving software) can share
access to a GPS without contention or loss of data. Also, gpsd responds
to queries with a format that is substantially easier to parse than NMEA
0183. A client library is provided for applications. After installing
this RPM, gpsd will automatically connect to USB GPSes when they are
plugged in and requires no configuration. For serial GPSes, you will
need to start gpsd by hand. Once connected, the daemon automatically
discovers the correct baudrate, stop bits, and protocol. The daemon will
be quiescent when there are no clients asking for location information,
and copes gracefully when the GPS is unplugged and replugged.

You might want: gpsd-clients - Clients for gpsd with an X interface

xgps is a simple test client for gpsd with an X interface. It displays
current GPS position/time/velocity information and (for GPSes that
support the feature) the locations of accessible satellites. xgpsspeed
is a speedometer that uses position information from the GPS. It accepts
an -h option and optional argument as for gps, or a -v option to dump
the package version and exit. Additionally, it accepts -rv (reverse
video) and -nc (needle color) options. cgps resembles xgps, but without
the pictorial satellite display. It can run on a serial terminal or
terminal emulator.

You might also want: gypsy - GPS multiplexing daemon

Gypsy is a GPS multiplexing daemon which allows multiple clients to
access GPS data from multiple GPS sources concurrently. Without some
sort of multiplexing system, a GPS device can only safely be accessed by
one client. In a server situation this may not cause any problems, but
on modern desktop which could potentially have multiple location aware
devices, this could be an issue.

You also nee: libQgpsmm20 - Shared Qt library for GPS applications

This package provides the shared Qt library for gpsd and other GPS aware
applications

And: libgypsy0 - GPS multiplexing daemon - Library

Gypsy is a GPS multiplexing daemon which allows multiple clients to
access GPS data from multiple GPS sources concurrently. Without some
sort of multiplexing system, a GPS device can only safely be accessed by
one client. In a server situation this may not cause any problems, but
on modern desktop which could potentially have multiple location aware
devices, this could be an issue.

Possibly: python-gpsd - Client libraries in C and Python for talking to
a running gpsd or GPS

This package provides python modules and tools for the gpsd shared
libraries. You will need to have gpsd installed for it to work.

Here's a site you should visit:
http://tuxmobil.org/linux_gps_navigation_applications.html
Also: http://www.gps-practice-and-fun.com/gps-software-for-linux.html

Hope this helps,